Rains in Mumbai bring with them a host of diseases. Here is a lowdown on some of the most frequent ones...
Fever with chills, followed by sweating, body pain and cold-like symptoms.
The danger signs of severe malaria are convulsions, unconsciousness, drowsiness, confusion, inability to walk, sit, speak or recognise people around. It can also include repeated vomiting, inability to retain oral medication, inability to eat or drink, passage of small quantities of dark urine or no urine, severe diarrhoea, unexplained heavy bleeding from nose or gums, high fever, severe dehydration, anaemia and the whites of the eyes turning yellow.
- Protect yourself against mosquito bites.
- Use insecticide-treated mosquito nets at night.
- Spray insecticides at home.
- Apply mosquito repellents to the skin.
- Use mosquito coils.
- Control mosquito breeding.