Globally sleep related problems have been ignored for many years ,India specially lacks
What is Sleep apnea?
- Loud, chronic snoring
- Frequent pauses in breathing during sleep
- Gasping, snorting, or choking during sleep
- Feeling exhausted after waking and sleepy during the day, no matter how much time you spent in bed
- Waking up with shortness of breath, chest pains, headaches, nasal congestion, or a dry throat
There are three types of sleep apnoea :
(1) Obstructive sleep apnoea -when the back of your throat relaxes and blocks the airway
(2) Central sleep apnoea -when the brain fails to signal the muscles that control breathing
(3)Complex sleep aponea -a combination of the above two
Q.What are the other complications ?
Apart from high blood pressure ,it increases the risk of heart attacks ,strokes ,obesity and type 2 diabetes .
Q.How is it treated ?
Two treatment options exist :
CPAP(Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) :A CPAP machine is a mask that generates a strong air flow .This pushes away the soft tissues of the throat ,and can be an immediate treatment .
For patients who do not wish to wear a mask for life ,there is the option of a range of surgical treatments .
It helps in clearing the airway and is specially helpful if you have a deviated nasal septum ,enlarged tonsils ,or a small lower jaw .
Q.How long will I need to stay in hospital ?Is it expensive ?
An apnoeagraph study is an overnight procedure .It costs Rs 10,000.00p For more details and benefits ,please call +91 993 020 0204 or +91 900 466 8376